Sunday, August 31, 2008

Speed

Today was a DOR (day of rest) for me, but I decided to go to the gym and do a little speed work. Of course, I use the term "speed" very loosely, LOL, since my pace is very conservative!

I only did about a mile, but was it tough! I chose a few posts around the track and ran all out between them... less than a quarter of a lap each time, but it was enough to get me sucking wind and panting for dear life. I did this four times, and then my knee started yelling at me so I left the track and used the elliptical machine for 20 minutes to finish off my workout.

I do my runs on an indoor track (a little less than 5 laps per mile, so it is nice sized). I have thought about getting a treadmill for home, but that 20 minutes on the elliptical made me rethink that because I was bored. I tried music... bored... then I tried a podcast... bored... tried watching TV... bored... you get the picture. Granted, running around a track is also very repetitive, but I have different things to look at and feel like I am going somewhere instead of staying in the same place all the time.

Last time I ran on a regular basis, back in 1998, I usually ran on a treadmill and loved it. When I started running this time I decided to run on an indoor track because 1) I was training for a race and knew that I had to get used to hitting the pavement so to speak and 2) I knew that I would not do well in this hot Chicago summer weather running outside. I am glad that I made the decision because I feel like the transition to running on the road will be easier than it was when I used to run on a treadmill. And once the fall weather hits, I plan to start running outside on the weekends.

Fall is my favorite time of year, and I am looking forward to enjoying it in a whole new way this year as I run through the turning trees and watch the seasons change.

1 comment:

Delane said...

I think speed is over-rated. Of course, this is coming from someone who just ran one of the slowest 10Ks in history. But at least I ran it!

Its all about getting out there.

Oh..I HATE THE DREADMILL! It is evil beyond 30 min.