Tuesday, September 30, 2008

BREAKING NEWS: 3 Mile Run Saved by 6 Year Old!

It seems that all of my posts start off the same way recently: Didn't feel like running, almost skipped my run, close call, etc. Today was no exception. After I picked up my child from her after school care, I said "So, would you rather go to the gym tonight or tomorrow?" And, as you may have guessed by now, her answer was "I would prefer to go tonight". So while my mind may allow me to let my body down by missing a run, it appears that it will not allow me to let my child down. She likes going to childcare at the gym.

It's not that I don't want to run. It is that I am dead tired by the time I can run. I wake up at 5:30 a.m. just to get DD and I ready to get to school and to the train respectively. Then I am off to work for the day and back on the train, only to head to my van and pick up the child from after school care. By the time I even get close to my house it is already 5:45 p.m. and neither of us have had any dinner. On running nights, I have to stop at home, get the child a snack, get my clothes and gear on, and then go to the gym. By the time I hit the track it is 6:30 p.m., and then we do not get home until about 7:20 p.m. Finally dinner, homework, bedtime for child, chores, and then I finally throw myself into bed around 10:30 p.m. or 11:00 p.m. I am just so tired all of the time from this crazy schedule day after day.

But it could be worse because at least I am healthy enough to keep it up. I remember all too clearly a period of four and a half years where I was too sick to leave my house for anything that was not absolutely required to take care of my child and pay my bills. I'll take this crazy schedule with arms wide open any day!

Now for my typical running recap: Good run, and very enjoyable. It took me awhile to gather my speed and my warm-up walk was soooooo slow, but then it looks like I had one of my best times at the mile mark, and another very good one at the two mile mark. So my running pace improved even though I thought I was having a leisurely run because my heart rate was not as high as usual and my perceived exertion was not too high.

Thank you, beautiful child, for kicking your mommy's behind to the gym tonight... I needed it!

No comments: