Saturday, September 27, 2008

I Think I Can't, I Think I Can

Today was my W5D3 run on OHR, and I ran for 38 minutes. Total workout with warm-up and cool-down was 48 minutes, and per my HRM I burned 699 calories during my workout.

It was a hard one for me. My heart rate was quite a bit higher than usual, and was even in the 180s for about 1/3 of the run. My pace turned out to be a good one, though, so that may be part of the reason for the increased heart rate.

I also ran into some Jedi mind trick stuff, though, and not necessarily in positive way at first. Just 10 minutes into the 38 minute run, I started having these "can't do it today" thoughts. I was looking at the time on my watch far too much, and it seemed to be crawling by so slowly.

Now 38 minutes isn't that much more than the 30 minutes that I have been running for almost six weeks now, but for some reason it seemed like hours longer today. My perceived exertion was much greater than usual today, but I found that the third mile in my run was actually at a faster pace than my second mile... so I did get a "second wind" in there.

When I finished the run, I felt great! It was one of those runner's high days post run, and I was proud that I ignored my mental banter and just did what I set out to do. It was a good run. :-)

No comments: