Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Pleasant Run

It really was a pleasant run! I finished the W4D1 run of OHR this evening, and I enjoyed it. I ran a little slower than usual, and my mind wandered the whole time about a handsome man at my office... and I basically had a 30 minute daydream. I had a smile on my face for most of the run (of course, it was an open-mouthed smile since I was breathing through it at the time). Can't beat that!

While I run I always tell myself to run my own run and not pay attention to the folks on the track who are lapping me, but that is so hard for me to do. Today there was another woman who came on the track when I was about 25 minutes into my 30 minute run, and she lapped me pretty quickly. Now, she looked quite a bit younger and lighter than I, but was by no means in monster fit shape, so when she lapped me again for the second time in five minutes I started to feel a bit pissy.

Then it was time for my cool-down walk, and as I rounded the corner I saw that she was no longer running but was now walking. I tried not to feel a bit relieved because I thought to myself "Sure, I could run that fast for five minutes, but could she run even at my slow rate for thirty?" I know that I should focus on myself and my progress, but sometimes it is nice to know that there are even fit people who might not be able to run for 30 minutes straight.

At least I have gained endurance, even if speed continues to evade me!

No comments: