Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sensor: Low Battery!

It's Thursday again, time for my second run of the week! I was still sore from the combo 30 Day Shred/W8D1 of OHR, but not sore enough to be able to convince myself that I could miss the run without guilt.

So off to the gym it was for a 36 minute run. The track got kind of crowded as I neared my ten minute mark, which always makes me grumpy. But then I noticed that it totally cleared by the time I hit my 25 minute mark, and I was the only one remaining... YEA!! This slow, fat girl outlasted all of those fit and speedy runners! As I always say, at least I have endurance!

I felt like I ran a bit faster, though, so I look forward to seeing the run pattern and mile speeds when I upload my Nike+ later on. I also found that I was more comfortable running at a higher heart rate tonight (maybe it was all of the caffeine in the pot of black tea that I drank at my favorite tea shop before my run???). And I found myself picking up the pace for the last 2 1/2 minutes instead of slowing down to a snail's pace as I usually do. So there are three good things, and that makes me happy that I went and did it despite my sore legs.

After my run, though, I noticed that my iPod said "Sensor: Low Battery". I had a moment of panic when I saw that because I have my longest run so far (49 minutes) scheduled for Saturday and I WANT CREDIT IN MY NIKE+ CHALLENGES, DAMMIT!!!! So now I need to find someplace local to go get one early on Saturday morning. Ah, the trials and tribulations of a runner. ;-)

As an aside, it was kind of weird for me to go to the gym tonight because of an altercation that happened in childcare with my daughter on Tuesday night. Let me preface this story by saying that I am a single mother who commutes on public transportation (over two hours a day) to and from a full-time job, so I have to run at night and need someone to watch my child while I do so. Thus, childcare was the primary consideration when I chose a gym. Luckily this gym also has a great 5-lap-per-mile indoor track, so it worked out well in both ways. Before I signed up for an annual membership, I asked if it would be okay if my daughter had a snack there because I pick her up from after-school care and usually go right to the gym so that we can be home by 7:30 p.m. to have dinner, do homework, and get her to bed by 8:00 p.m. That means that she has not eaten since lunch, and she is very hungry. They told me that it would be fine for her to have a snack as long as there are no other children there, which is certainly understandable.

So, she has brought popcorn with her for a snack almost every time that she has gone there for what is now almost a year (my gym anniversary is in the first week of November), and it has never been a problem. But on Tuesday night when I finished my run, I walked into the childcare room only to find my child crying so hard that she was hyperventilating and choking like she was going to vomit. As I tried to calm her, I spoke with the teenage girl that was watching her to try to figure out what had happened to create this situation. As it turns out, the gym manager had come in to the childcare room and noticed my daughter snacking on her popcorn, and she freaked out. She started yelling at the teenager assigned to the room, and then stormed out and printed a big sign about not allowing food in the childcare room and stormed back in and taped it on the desk in the childcare room. And she did all of this very loudly in front of my very sensitive 6 year old child, who then thought she did something wrong and was in trouble.

Suffice it to say that I was NOT happy with the way this 40-something woman (and I mention her age only because she is certainly old enough to know better, unlike many of the teenagers that work there at night) handled the situation. As a matter of fact, I was starting to go all Mama Bear, and was feeling a confrontation on the horizon. So I asked my mom, who often goes to the gym with us, to take the child out to the van while I paid the childcare fee (and looked for the bitch who made my baby cry).

But then I thought better of finding that idiot because I was starting to fill with f-bombs and fury. I figured that if I went off on her with the ferocity that was brewing in me that I would just look like a hysterical mother and not get my real point across. So I quietly paid, grabbed the business card of the Executive Director of the gym, and exited to soothe my child.

The next day I called the Executive Director and left him a brief voicemail about the incident, asking him to please call me to discuss. He did, and he allowed me to voice my GREAT displeasure for about 15 minutes as he assured me that I was totally right (of course I was) and that the stupid manager dealt with it in the wrong way (duh). He promised me that he would address the issue with her personally, and discuss the proper way to handle tricky situations the involve children with the rest of the staff, too.

So, when I arrived tonight, and especially as I left since I was moving much more slowly and became a good target for discussion with the passing staff, I could tell that they felt a little weird about it. I, on the other hand, do not feel that weird about it because the bitch was wrong and I got her in trouble and she should NEVER have done that in front of my child. So there.

Ah, now I feel so much better after that tirade... it was kind of like a big, cleansing breath! I hope that things go well on our next visit (Saturday) because my daughter is a bit nervous about going back. I really hope that it does, because I need to stay at this gym as it is the only one in the area that I could find that 1) had childcare, 2) had a good running set-up, and 3) I could afford.

P.S. Al and Carly, I felt so honored to see you following my blog because I think of you two as running rock stars and I love reading about your experiences. :-)

4 comments:

Terra aka The Dark Lily said...

its good that you got your run in, glad that she got what she deserved, she shouldn't have acted like that.

Delane said...

you can buy just a new sensor. Also you can google how to change the battery..I've never done it since I'm utterly lazy.

I got nuttin' on the child care stuff... :-)

Al's CL Reviews said...

I would have gone off on that woman to make a child act that way. Of course I assume I would, since I have no kids. But your way of handling it seems much more appropriate. You have nothing to feel weird about.

Congrats on getting a strong run in. Doesn't that feel awesome!

I have nothing on the sensor.

friedmsw said...

Appears that you have a really full plate. I would like to take that woman and give her a peice of my mind!