Sunday, November 9, 2008

And After... I AM A ONE HOUR RUNNER!!!!

Woo-hoo... I did it! I finished the One Hour Runner program today!!! :-)

I was procrastinating and dragging my feet in terms of getting to the gym today for the run. I was supposed to go with my mom at 11:00 a.m., but then she backed out and I found a million things to do... and the next thing I knew it was almost 3:00 p.m. and I still had not even dressed in my running clothes.

So I got dressed, headed over, and with surprisingly little trepidation hit the track for my last run of the program. I put my iPod on shuffle and started on my way.

The first 25 minutes of the run were like a dream. I felt strong, my breathing was right on, and I felt like I could run all day. I began daydreaming about running a marathon and being on the Oprah show to thank everyone who helped me get my life back after being so sick with an auto-immune disease and everything else that hit me in the last 10 years. I was making a list of names and reliving some of the most horrible parts and comparing them with the happiness that I have now, and the time just flew by!

The track got crowded about midway through my run, and of course it filled with rude non-lane designation followers... but I did not let it bother me as much today because a) I knew that I was going to outlast them all on the track and b) I was on a happy mission to complete a milestone.

I started to tire about 45 minutes into the run, but it was just a feeling and I knew that I was going to be able to complete the run from an energy standpoint. I was so excited! 10 more minutes, 7 more minutes, 5 more minutes, one more lap.. and DING DING DING I WAS A ONE HOUR RUNNER!!! With a shout and a fist pump in the air, I started my cool down walk with a huge smile on my face and a swing in my step!

Now I am home and ordering some pizza for dinner. After burning 924 calories during my workout per my HRM, I think I have room today for a couple of slices. :-)

Thanks for sharing this part of the journey with me. Believe it or not, you have all been my biggest supporters. I am excited to see what 2009 holds for my running!

4 comments:

Melissa M. said...

Congratulations!!!!

Melissa (from DWLZ)

Delane said...

Congrats! I'm so proud. I can't wait for all the 2009, 2010, 2011...races and runs to come!

friedmsw said...

Congrats on such an awesome acomplishment!!

Al's CL Reviews said...

awesome!