Thursday, November 20, 2008

It Was a Hot and Smelly Night

I skipped my run on Tuesday because I was home with a fever, so I had not run since Sunday before hitting the track tonight.

I stopped at my favorite tea shop before heading home to change. A nice pot of Winterblend black tea gave me some caffeine (read: energy) and helped me brave the cold Chicago weather. Once I came home, I popped in a lollipop to add some sugar to my caffeine buzz, changed my clothes, and headed out again.

The parking lot at the gym was full. Not like it usually is, where I have a problem finding a good spot... but actually so full that I had to drive around for 5 minutes to find ANY spot. Once I got in I asked the boy at the desk what was up with the crowd, and he told me that there was a Chamber of Commerce event being held at the gym tonight. Ugh.

There were people milling around everywhere, and as soon I entered the locker room I noticed a strange smell. Once I made my way to the track, I noticed that the smell was stronger. And it was hot. Ick.

As I rounded the first bend in the track, I saw the gathering. It was in the main floor of the gym (the track circles the entire gym on the second level, like a loft around it), and there were so many (loud) people. The smell was from the catered food that was out on tables from local businesses, and all of those people seemed to be watching those of us who are members work out as they mingled around. That was not a fun thing for this chubby runner.

But I had to do it, so I did it. It was a decent 45 minute run, and I felt strong and even picked up the pace at the end by working on increasing my stride length. And all of the mouth-breathing helped me to ignore the nasty smell of Sterno and food from the convention.

Smelly, hot, but nonetheless over... and I am glad that I did it because I actually missed it. Usually missing a run or a scheduled workout would throw me into a tailspin and make me feel like a loser, so I was happy that I was able to just get back on track (literally) and keep going. I know that I have to get rid of that "all or nothing" mentality because life is going to throw me for a loop sometimes, and I do not want to yo-yo anymore with either my weight or my exercise. It's time for me to figure out how to take changes in my plans in stride... something which is not easy for this project manager!

2 comments:

friedmsw said...

I don't do well with change either!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Good for hanging in there! I would have left without parking the car!