Thursday, November 27, 2008

Turkey Trot 5K

As it is Thanksgiving, I have been reflecting on how much I have to be thankful for this year. My daughter is healthy and happy, my family is healthy, I have a wonderful job that allows me to take care of our household as a single parent, and I have a beautiful home in a safe neighborhood filled with wonderful kitties!

I am also thankful that I am in a place health-wise where I was even able to complete a 5K race this morning. I am thankful for the 40 pounds I have lost since mid-June (well, not thankful for the pounds themselves but instead for the fact that they are GONE!). That being said, here's the recap of my race this morning.

First of all, it was not a timed race so I used my own watch. But frankly, it did not matter because there was no way for me to get a good time today. There was a very large crowd, with many walkers, children, strollers, and dogs. And they did not start back from the starting line. Nor did they make it possible for runners to pass without going out of their way on sidewalks and the like. As soon as I realized that my time was going to be a non-issue because I could barely navigate my way through the walkers for the first 1/4 mile, I just did it for the fun of it.

The race course was through neighborhood streets, and there were many people on their porches and on the street watching us (not much cheering, though... but quite a bit of drinking!). I know that my second mile was about 12 1/2 minutes, so that was a PR in a race for me.

One thing that really pissed me off was the number of smokers near the starting line, along the race course, and at the end of the race. I swear I wanted to blow chunks on one guy who was puffing away right next to the finish as I sucked in a huge lung-full of his filthy smoke. Gross. Where is the common sense, people?!?

The other thing that was difficult was all of the dogs on long leashes. I was seriously almost tripped by two of them, and then when you add the YOUNG children weaving around the road while their parents did a half-assed job of watching them... well, it was a bit frustrating.

But it was a good way to get me up and out and active before a big dinner tonight, so I'll take it. And even with all of the distractions and roadblocks, my time was 38 seconds less that the last 5K that I ran a month ago, so there was improvement.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I am thankful that you took the time to read about my journey!

2 comments:

Melissa M. said...

Congrats on getting a PR in less than ideal conditions, Nicole! :-)

friedmsw said...

Congratulations on all of your accomplishments the past few months!!