Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ugh



First, I must say that I am pissed at my Nike+. It totally tanked my run right in the middle. I am sorry, but there is no way that I was running over a TWO HOUR PER MILE pace in the middle of my very consistent hour long run. Seriously. It failed to record over a mile of my run, and that just pisses me off.

As for the run itself, it was a hard run in many ways. I was properly fueled, properly hydrated, not any more sleep-deprived than usual... and yet I almost passed out during the run for real.

It started out fine for about the first 15 minutes, and then I hit a wall. My heart rate shot up and was in the mid 170s already, which usually does not happen until later in my runs. I was thinking that I might have to call it a day at 30 minutes. By the time I was 25 minutes into the workout, my heart rate was in the 180s and I was struggling. I couldn't concentrate on anything to distract me from the clock, and time was just crawling.

Being as stubborn as I am, I kept plowing through and told myself that if I could get to 45 minutes of the run, then I could call it a day. I also was berating myself with the fact that it not bode well for my goal of doing the Soldier Field 10 Miler race with Delane if I couldn't even make myself get through a five mile run.

Suffice it to say, I made it to 45 minutes and then played mind games with myself to "just go five more minutes". But once I hit the 50 minute mark, I started to have chest pain (nothing crazy, but tightness) and I got all light headed and depleted of energy and though I might actually pass out on the track. Very weird. It passed after a couple of minutes, so I kept going and did end up hitting the magical 60 minute run mark before starting my cool down walk.

I felt bad after the run. Tired, drained, like I needed a serious nap. So I got some coffee instead and went on my merry way. ;-)

I don't know what happened to cause this horrible run, but I am going to chalk it up to some bad planetary alignment and move on to next week. At least I can say that I finished my second one hour run!

3 comments:

friedmsw said...

Ain't technology wonderful! LOL

Carly said...

That sucks about the Nike+. I have issues with my garmin a lot too but mine is user error.

Al's CL Reviews said...

I've had that kind of run before...usually it means I'm coming down with something.