Wednesday, December 3, 2008

30 Loooong Minutes

Last week I only did one of my three planned runs, and that was the 5K Turkey Trot race on Thanksgiving Day. Yikes. So I had to get myself back to the gym last night, but things kept coming up that made me think of postponing the run.

First, I realized that my daughter had her class picture re-take the next day at school... and noticed that her bangs were covering almost half of her eyes. And, of course, the hairdresser did not have anything available before our scheduled time at the gym. But I scheduled something for 7:45 p.m. instead, and figured that it was okay if she went to bed a little later than usual just that one night for the sake of beauty.

Then I came home and found that AF had decided to start her monthly visit. Ugh. But as I tossed around the idea of staying home with a heating pad, a voice from deep inside of me literally growled "You go to the gym, Nicole!".

So off we went, through the cold and windy Chicago night, to the gym. The track was packed! I guess all of the die-hard outdoor runners had finally decided to move it inside. Or maybe it was the non-regulars who found their way back to the gym after a Thanksgiving weight gain. And they were all passing me like crazy as I completed my 30 minute run because I was soooooo slow last night. Seriously, I could feel the difference from being off track last week.

One entertaining thing was watching a serious runner couple fly around the track. They looked like throwbacks from the 70s... tight short shorts in interesting colors, tight sleeveless shirts, and the male half of the couple was actually wearing a cloth headband that was tied around his head with ends trailing behind him! He reminded me of Bruce Jenner in his heyday with the get-up, LOL! They were probably doing sub-7 minute miles, and was I ever awestruck and totally jealous as I watched them circle the track over and over again!

As always, I was glad that I pushed myself to the gym and got back on my running schedule. I was even happier about it today because I received three compliments at work about my shrinking figure. Sometimes that makes it worth all the hard work!

Oh, and I heard from a little birdie that Santa is bringing me a Garmin 405 for Christmas! I must have been a VERY good girl this year! ;-)

No comments: