Thursday, December 25, 2008

An Heirloom Christmas

I was spoiled this year for Christmas when my mother brought me a present that has a long history behind it.

When I was a young child, my father bought my mother a bracelet. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I have been trying to get my mom to give it to me my whole life because I have only seen her wear it once. It has spent its life in her safety deposit box.

She refused to give it to me. It has been an ongoing joke for almost 20 years, but I have always had a kernel of serious intent in my joking because I REALLY WANT THAT BRACELET. Her position has been that my brother and I can fight for it when she dies because he has also told her that it is the only piece of jewelry of hers that HE would like. So I just put it behind me a few years ago and figured that he and I would duke it out at a (hopefully) much later date.

Fast forward to today. She handed me a box to open and said that I had to open it in front of everyone. Needless to say, I was shocked to find that it contained THE BRACELET. I actually cried a bit. From the time that I was a child, this piece was the holy grail of jewelry for me. And now it is mine. OMG.

I am not a person driven by possessions. I drive a beat up old mini-van, wear my clothes until they no longer fit or have holes in them, and only own one pair of shoes that fit at any given time (granted, I do wear an 11 narrow so it is neither easy nor cheap for me to get good shoes). But this bracelet and my strong desire for it was really more about a magical item from my childhood, something so beautiful that it took my breath away. And it did again today.

Now it is off to the jeweler for a new appraisal, then a call in to the insurance company for coverage, and then a trip to my own safety deposit box for its safekeeping. But I can get it out and wear it whenever I want now. :-)

Merry Christmas to Me!



3 comments:

Al's CL Reviews said...

It is gorgeous!!!

friedmsw said...

What a beautiful bracelet!! Thanks for sharing!

I have missed reading your blog since my accident. Good to hear from you!

Melissa M. said...

That's absolutely stunning, Nicole! I adore opals, so you might want to hide it if I'm ever around. ;-)