Sunday, December 14, 2008

What Have You Done Today To Make You Feel Proud?

I am watching a rerun of The Biggest Loser episode from last week, and the contestants are about to strap weights on to their body to represent the weight that they have lost and then run around an auto racing track. OMG. I could not even imagine what it would be like for me to strap over 70 pounds back onto my body and try to run. It is hard for me to lug around the extra weight that I still have! I have been feeling adjusted to the weight loss this weekend and very disenchanted with my body, but this was a bit of a wake up call to appreciate how far I have come even if my body is still not what I would like it to be (yet!).

This week I celebrated my last birthday of my 30s, and I had a blow out meal in the city on Thursday as part of the festivities. I was certain that my whole week was blown (not just from that crazy meal that ended with a huge slice of Godiva chocolate mousse cake, but also from all of the wine throughout the week and all of the Christmas cookies at work and at home), but decided to step on the scale this morning and weigh in as I usually do on Sunday morning... and I was down 2.8 pounds for the week! YIPPEE!!

I have found that I really am only squeezing in two runs a week, but I am okay with that now and am making sure that I do activities at home on the other nights after DD goes to bed whenever I can. I have three DVDs in rotation now that I am enjoying:

1) Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred
2) You On A Diet Workout
3) Fat Free Yoga

Now I just have to keep it up as they holidays get crazy! ;-)

I made it to the gym today for a run, and tried out my new Garmin 405 (thanks, Santa!). I bought a foot pod for indoor running, but forgot to turn off the GPS functionality in the watch before my run so the watch kept losing the satellite signal and my pace was pretty funky. But all in all, I like the watch and the interface and the fact that it has so many cool features! I have to learn all of them, but am now really looking forward to running outside to use the GPS function and track my route on Google Maps which seems really cool to me. And I got the HRM version, so I no longer have to wear the Polar. If I wasn't so wrapped up with the Nike+ site, I could drop that device, too, but for now I am wearing them both, LOL!

Today's run was a quick 3 1/4 miler, and then I did about 15 minutes of lower body weight work on the machines at the gym. I certainly felt the burn! I need to incorporate more strength training into my routine because I have just been focusing on the cardio, but I really do notice wonderful results when I work with the weights, too. And with the Hustle Up the Hancock coming up in a mere two months, I have to get some serious strength in my legs.

As a total aside from my running and health objectives and experiences, I have found myself contemplating the concept of dating again for the first time since my divorce 3 1/2 years ago. I have some serious body baggage to release before I take the leap, but I am thinking that spring may be the time that I open up that part of my life again. It's scary to think about it because a) I haven't even KISSED anyone for almost 4 years and b) I feel like I have no time in my life for one more thing being a single mother that works fulltime and commutes 2+ hours a day. But I am starting to feel sadness about the lack of male relationship in my life, so who knows what 2009 will bring? Maybe a half marathon and a boyfriend?

3 comments:

Al's CL Reviews said...

Thanks for posting your DVDs. I'm going to check out the 2nd one.

Happy Birthday and congrats on the loss!

Delane said...

DEFINATLY a 1/2!!!!

I wish it were a bit warmer so running outside could happen. I'm hoping for a Garmin from Santa too..If you see Corinne...I mean Santa drop her..i mean him some hints

Melissa M. said...

You sound as bad as me with all the gadgetry. LOL! I have the Garmin 305, a Polar HRM which I also don't wear very often since getting my Garmin, and the Nike+. I also haven't been using it as much either because my Nano doesn't seem to recognize the sensor since I got the last iPod software update (1.1.3, I think?)

I'm signed up for a half marathon at the end of June. I would love to think I'll be able to run part of it, but time will tell. I'm starting a very conservative C25K running plan this week that I'll do in conjunction with my half training plan.

WTG on your awesome loss this week! That's fantastic given the celebrations. Happy Birthday!! :-D