Sunday, February 15, 2009

Doubt

It's amazing what happens when my mind starts playing games. In this case, amazing does not refer to a good turn of events, though. Exactly one week from today (because my wave begins at 10:45 a.m.), I will be climbing the John Hancock building here in Chicago for the long-awaited Hustle Up the Hancock event. As the days have ticked away, that reality has been scaring the shit out of me.

My exercising has slacked (I haven't worked out since Thursday night), my eating has worsened (I am not even going to discuss the Mexican dinner, cannoli cake, and Godiva chocolate feast last night), and I have become very unsure of myself. I know that everyone tells me that I can do it, but my body does not seem to agree.

There are some big things at play here in my mind, and I think they are all getting mixed up in this event and thus causing it to take on a meaning bigger than it should. I need to focus on it as an hour of my life, and not a measure of myself. I need to find the fun it and not live in my fear. But I only have a week to figure all of this out. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Delane said...

stop doubting yourself, you will do just fine, trust me! I was not in shape when I did it last year and I lived to talk about it.

Go slow, bring chapstick and some gum. I cranked my ipod and it was over before I knew it.

friedmsw said...

Let us know how it goes. You are going to it!! The mind can play tricks on you-mine has been doing that too. Just focus and think about what a sense of accomplishment this will be.

carla said...

ok, how about thinking of it as WORRYING (can I do this?) is PRAYING for what you DO NOT WANT.

you can do this.

all you need to do is believe it yourself as youve set yourself up for success already!

MizFit

A Daunting Tale of the Scale said...

I think that you are going to do great. It will be hard yes, but once it is over, youre going to be amazed at what you can accomplish! Let us know how it goes!