Friday, March 13, 2009

Mid Day Running

I took a vacation day today in order to go to the County Assessor's office to dispute my 2007 property tax bill, so I packed the rest of the day with other chores that never seem to get done in the crazy life of this working singe mom. And then I decided to hit the gym a bit earlier than usual in order to check off my workout for the day.

It is amazing to me how much my speed and energy is affected by the time of day that I run. Of course, other factors may be mixed in like the time since I last ate, what I ate that day, how much I slept the night before, TOM, etc. But I am so used to running in the evening that my daytime runs feel just plain odd. And the races I have run, which are always in the morning, kicked my ass and resulted in pretty bad final times for me. Today I ran about as fast as I normally do in the evening, but I was sweating up a storm when I was finished. I couldn't even wear my coat in the 35 degree Chicago weather afterward!

I have been back on track with my three weekly runs, but my mileage has really slipped from where it had been before the holidays. I really need to kick it up in order to do well in the Shamrock Shuffle 8K that I am running at the end of the month. But time may not be as much of a factor in that race because I got in touch with an old friend from a previous job who started running in January who asked me if I would like to run with her. She is concerned that she might not make the 1.25 hours allotted for the race, so I am going to run it with her and make sure that it is a good first race experience for her. So I am not going to freak about finishing time in this race.

I decided to do my normal Thursday run today instead because I worked late last night, so I did Jillian's 30 Day Shred last night instead. I was surprised that I only burned about 180 calories during the workout according to my GoWear Fit, especially considering that I usually log about 300 calories burned when I enter that exercise into The Daily Plate. It is good to know this so that I do not overestimate my workout calorie burn and then eat more than I should be eating for my weight loss goal. I am really glad that I bought the GoWear Fit!

We had a Health Fair at work last week, and I found out some interesting facts about my health from the screenings they offered to us. I had my cholesterol tested (they give a total number only, so I do not know the LDL and HDL levels from this specific screening) and it was 124. She told me that was low, but I am not going to worry about that. I do not eat red meat, haven't even had chicken for months, only eat fish if I go out to eat (like... never), and really don't eat much dairy other than my Skinny Vanilla Lattes, so I just do not eat cholesterol or much saturated fat at all. I do eat enough healthy fat, though, which includes avocado and olive oil almost every day, so I am not eating an extremely low fat diet. When I was a vegan for three years back in college, I remember that my cholesterol was 117 so 124 does not seem like a crazy number for me. Even when I was 50 pounds heavier and not working out last year at Health Fair time (and eating plenty of high-fat dairy), it was 174. So I consider this good news.

My glucose level was 89, which is great for a non-fasting test. I had a stroke risk assessment, and my blood pressure is very good and there is no plaque build-up in my carotid arteries as shown on the ultraound that they did.

Skip to the body composition testing and YIKES!!!! I am certainly overweight, at the high end of the BMI range for Overweight, and my body fat percentage is just crazy high. I have to lose some serious body fat and build some more muscle like... NOW. I was also told that my basal metabolic rate is 1745 calories per day, meaning that my body burns approximately 1745 calories a day just to sustain its functions without me ever moving a muscle. His suggestion is that I eat that many calories per day and then add extra activities in to make up the difference so that I lose weight, but I eat 1600 a day now as recommended by The Daily Plate and I seem to be losing well on that so I am not going to change that in an upwards direction right now. As a matter of fact, this week's weight loss was 2.8 pounds and I like that number! :-)

So, it looks like my health is okay and I am moving towards a healthier weight, so all in all I think I am headed in the right direction to live as long and healthy a life as possible. Now I just need to find a hot man to enjoy it with, LOL!

3 comments:

A Daunting Tale of Scale Warfare said...

Wow lady you are kicking a$$ with those numbers! It sounds like you are really back on track after your run in with the flu.

I too am pretty amazed at how many calories the GoWear Fit tells me that I have burned during particular activities. I am way more worn out after a 30 Day Shred workout than I am after 30-40 minutes doing intervals on the elliptical, but I burn about 1/2 of the calories doing the workout with Jillian.

Kudos to you for getting so back on track!

friedmsw said...

WOW! all I can say is WOW!! WTG!!

I need to take a day off from work soon to get some business things taken care of.

Al's CL Reviews said...

WTG!

You are doing great!

I wore my Polar doing Shred the other day and it came with 245. Considering I wanted to die, I'll take it.

:)