Saturday, April 25, 2009

Anelise's 5K Run Post Race Report

I didn't speak too much about this race because my event track record for 2009 has been pretty dismal, but lo and behold I ran a 5K this morning! Although, when the rain started 20 minutes before race time, I will admit that I was feeling a bit cursed again. Thank goodness it was just a brief shower and the race was dry!

The race was held a mile from my house, so I had my mom drop me off because so many of the local roads were closed. I arrived about 10 minutes before the race began and actually saw some people that I know (and like, which can often be the tricky part now that I am back living in the town in which I grew up).

It was not timed, and most people did not have bibs. All of the ones who did either had a Number 8 or Number 88 on their bib in honor of the girl for whom the race was named. She was born on 8/8/88, so those were her favorite numbers. And she was killed in a hit and run accident 9 years ago while on her rollerblades. Her friends and family have this race in her honor each year and donate the proceeds to the Make A Wish Foundation, which I think is a wonderful tribute to her life.

Thus I timed myself with my Garmin 405. I love that thing! And I even ran a PR, beating my previous 5K record by FIVE MINUTES AND 20 SECONDS!!! I was seriously thrilled! This means that, since November, I have had a great improvement in my mile pace. My first mile was significantly faster than the other 2.1 miles, but at least it is leading to an overall better finishing time.

After the race, I felt so good that I decided to walk the mile back home and savor the moment. I am so glad that I was able to run in the race this morning, and it certainly is setting the stage for a healthy weekend. And a good nap this afternoon!

4 comments:

A Daunting Tale of Scale Warfare said...

Holy crap lady, you did amazing! Dropping 5:20, just insane. You should be really proud of yourself!

If I ever get to a point where I am ready to start running, I'll have to check this Garmin gadget out :)

A Daunting Tale of Scale Warfare said...

The Cocoa Roasted Almonds are really good. They arent too sweet, and you get a really nice mellow chocolate flavor. They are 150 calories per ounce though!!

I actually eat a lot of the same foods each day, especially for a week at a time. I have a feeling taking pictures will get boring after a couple of weeks lol. It is keeping me more accountable though, I realize what things I wrote down that I never ate, and the things I ate that I never wrote down. I'll likely keep up with it for myself, but might not for the blog, we shall see!

Al's CL Reviews said...

That is terrific on your time!

Carly said...

Nice job on the PR! What a great race to celebrate the life of a little girl taken way too soon.