Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter 3-Miler

Ah, the joys of Easter! Family time, spring weather, parties. And the challenges of Easter... Cadbury Mini-Eggs, Brachs Chicks and Bunnies, Reese's Eggs, too much rich comfort food, family bickering. I have experienced both today, and it isn't even Noon!

I spent the night at my ex-husband's apartment so that the child could celebrate Easter morning with both parents. And with her Grandma (being my ex-MIL). The good news is that we all got along as well as can be expected, but the bad news is that I hit the Easter candy... hard. Starting at 12:04 a.m. this morning kind of hard. But I counted the calories, made a quick exit at 9:15 a.m., and went DIRECTLY to the gym without passing home.

All of the caffeine and sugar gave me that wide awake feeling as I hit the track, and my first mile was under 12 minutes!!! That's a great time for me personally! Then I started having the sugar crash and things slowed down, but all in all I did about three miles. And then felt a bit better about the Easter candy debacle!

I came home to prepare a dish to share at our family holiday gathering this afternoon, and am making a Mediterranean Stew in the crock pot. It includes eggplant, zucchini, garlic, plum tomatoes, artichoke hearts, chickpeas, basil, oregano, and freshly ground pepper, and it will give me a good choice for dinner that otherwise will include only unhealthy options.

Now I am off to shower and get ready for the gathering. Although I had a slip, I am back on my feet and ready for the "rebirth" that Easter signifies to those who are Christian. I am ready to rededicate my efforts to improving my health and fitness and reducing my weight. The end of the Easter candy season marks the close of the big food-related holidays for me until we hit Halloween next fall, and of course with the better weather outside I feel less like sitting on the couch and eating and more like getting out and doing the fun things I have dreamed about all winter.

Have a great holiday to those who celebrate!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good job getting out there and running. Can I have the recipe for the stew. It sounds like it would be really good.

A Daunting Tale of Scale Warfare said...

Hey you counted the candy, that is the important part :)

My BF's ex wife kept saying she wanted us all together at Christmas for the kids, youre a better person than I am. Had I been put in that situation I would have had 3 bottles of wine to drink and eaten the Easter Bunny himself. Good for you for getting the run in!