Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Until Saturday

Last Thursday afternoon, I ran outside for the first time this year. I got to use the GPS function on my Garmin 405 and it was so cool! And it validated that my first mile in a run is under 12 minutes, which is a big ol' WOO-HOO for me!

I did not get another run in until tonight. I had a 3 mile workout, and feel good. I am signed up for a 5K on Saturday, so I am going to stick with cross-training until then.

I am really looking forward to the 5K, and hope to beat my best time (which hopefully will be easy). The weather looks to be good and, since my daughter will be spending the weekend with her father, I should be able to get some decent rest before the race to try to kick this cold that has been bothering me since last week.

On the GoWear Fit front, I received my replacement unit today and am charging it up to start wearing it again... YIPPEE! I really missed it! It will be interesting to see what it records tomorrow and the next few days so that I can see if the metal corrosion on the pad was messing with the calorie reporting.

I also got the new Gold's Gym Wii game today and hope to try it out this week. From the reviews on amazon.com, it appears that it is mostly cardio boxing which sounds like something I would like to do! I'll review it here once I try it out.

I feel like this post is kind of flat, and really I am not surprised because I have been feeling kind of flat on a personal level due to interpersonal garbage at work.

One of my employees gave notice and had his last day this past Friday, but he wasn't very forthright with his reason for leaving until I took him out for lunch on his last day. He did not leave for another job (and actually had nothing lined up even after his three weeks notice was over), so I couldn't understand why he was leaving when he kept saying that he loved his job and that he would follow me anywhere job-wise. Then he told me that he was having trouble dealing with the office politics and gossip. He specifically told me that there was someone in our department who was badmouthing me and talking about me behind my back. I had a good idea who it was, and told him that I was aware that she was doing it but that I chose not to let it bother me and to be a bigger person.

And then he gave me some of the specifics of what she had been saying about me. And, although I knew she was talking badly about me, knowing the specifics took it to a whole different level and I am not sure that I really wanted to know that much detail. And then I had to figure out where to put it so that I could get back to business and work with her since this woman actually sits right next to me.

I was tossing around so many possible conversations with her in my mind last weekend but knew that, as a manager and a professional, I had to just put it behind me and move on. It has been hard, though. Shit like this is a direct throwback to Junior High and High School, and frankly I do not miss that time in my life.

So anyway, it really made me feel unsure of myself for a few days. I certainly do not speak of anything personal anymore when she is at her desk, so my work dynamic has changed (and this may actually turn out to be a good change). But I have also had to work hard to even speak with her this week, and it has caused me to pull out some Veruca Salt tunes to sooth my seething soul.

The hurt will fade as time passes, but it really goes to show that sometimes you really are better off not knowing the details of what others this about you when it makes no real difference in your life.

2 comments:

Delane said...

That totally blows about work. Congrats on blowing me out of the challenge :-)

Yeah I sucked all winter. I knew it, it happens. 16 weeks till my first 1/2 ...gotta get running. 80 this weekend woot!

A Daunting Tale of Scale Warfare said...

1-Awesome job with the times on your runs, youre going to kick the 5k's ass this weekend :)

2-Seriously, will some people never grow up? How old do we have to be before people talk directly to you when they have an issue, instead of trying to spread gossip. You are being the better person, which is awesome, and you should be proud of yourself. I'm not sure if I could do that myself :) Are you her manager?