Monday, May 25, 2009

Review: EA Sports Active Personal Trainer for Wii

I have been an active woman today! I decided to go to the gym for a run even though I ran yesterday because... well, because I could! My daughter is with her father for the weekend, so I figured that I should take advantage of my personal time and get in some extra activity.

So I went to the gym for a 2 mile run and then came home to try out the Wii EA Sports Active Personal trainer. I chose the 30 Day Challenge option at the Intermediate level, and I was off!

My first impression was that I like the interface, with my character representation in the middle of the screen and the trainer in the lower right hand corner.

I started with a walk/run warm-up which was actually quite fun and got my heart rate up a bit.

Squats and lunges were next, and they were good with a nice hold in each position before the next rep.

Cardio boxing with targets was a blast, and is probably my favorite so far... which should be no surprise to anyone who has read my previous posts about my infatuation with the Gold's Gym Cardio Workout.

I did not get much from the bicep curls or the bent rows because the resistance band is just too loose for me. I tried doubling it over, but I am almost 6 feet tall and then it did not stretch far enough. So I am going to look for a new one that offers more resistance, and that will enhance the effectiveness of the exercises.

My least favorite segment was the inline skating. Maybe my timing was off, or maybe I did not understand exactly when to jump, but I did not do well. The second time I did the activity was better, but I still did not care for it very much.

I liked the shoulder raises, and actually felt them a bit as I neared the end of the set. That was an effective move for me.

I finished up with the run/walk cool-down, and the whole workout lasted about 21 minutes. According to my GoWear Fit, I burned just over 200 calories which is great for what felt like a lot of fun!

I think this program is going to be a great addition to my routine, and I am going to stick with it through the 30 Day Challenge. I'll give intermediate and final reviews as I progress.

I hope you are all enjoying your Memorial Day holiday (if you are in the U.S... and if not, I hope you are having a great day anyway!). A big thanks from my household to the men and women who work to keep us free and safe in this country and around the world.

3 comments:

The Daily Mel said...

Thanks for the great review, Nicole! I picked one of these up a few days ago as well. I've not had a chance to try it though because my knee injury has been acting up again. :( I can't wait to try it!!

MochaTrina said...

I started the 30 day challenge Friday. The next day my legs were so sore, I think from the lunges and and squats. I am glad I made this purchase and I feel I got my monies worth. And I too enjoyed the boxing portion.

Scale Junkie said...

Thanks for a great review! My copy is still sitting unopened on the coffee table. I plan on giving it a go this week if I can get that leg band thingy to stay up.

You're doing so great with everything, exercise, weight loss, living right...a true inspiration. Thank you!