Sunday, May 31, 2009

Taking It To The Streets

My daughter was gone early this morning, on her way to a birthday party at The American Girl store in Chicago, so I decided to go for a nice run. I was about to head over to the gym when I realized that I was staring a sunny, 60-some degree morning right in the face. So I decided to take a run through my childhood neighborhood.

First of all, let me say that it was a rut-breaker. I haven't enjoyed a run that much in quite some time.

I started out with 3 minutes of walking, and then took off at a very easy pace. I weaved up and down the side streets of the old neighborhood, through the shade of the old trees. I waved at cats and dogs and children as we passed, admired the old and the new house that lined the streets, and reminisced about old friends who had lived in these house during my childhood. It was a great run.

I seriously could have run another couple of miles, but chores called before the child came back home. All in all, it was about a 3.5 mile run. I am already planning to do this one again.

It broke a barrier that has been there for me, a mental roadblock of sorts: Running in public. A race is different because there are SO many people there that I am just part of the crowd. The gym... well, I work out with a lot of old people, and even the ones who are not old are there for the same reason that I am there. But outside, in residential neighborhoods, I feel very conspicuous. Or at least I thought I would feel very conspicuous. But frankly I did not feel like that at all, and it was eye-opening how much more I enjoyed the experience.

Now I am home, diving head first into my chores, but at least I had some fun this morning! I hope to do my EA Sports Active Personal Trainer workout tonight after the child has gone to bed, which will be Day 4 of the workout (in a 6 day span). I am still really enjoying it, much more so than the Wii Fit which hasn't been pulled out in weeks.

4 comments:

The Lazy Triathlete said...

We all need something to get us out of your ruts. Keep up the good work.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Good job!

I'm about to start my rut of the gym because it is too hot.

Jenn said...

That's awesome! Sounds like you had a great run. This weather makes it so easy, doesn't it?

A Daunting Tale of Scale Warfare said...

What a great idea to run in your childhood neighborhood! The weather was amazing here too, gotta enjoy it while it lasts. Pretty soon we will be baking in the heat...ugh

The Oat Bran is Old Wessex Organic Oat Bran and it is 1 point for a serving, which is HUGE and very filling.