Friday, July 31, 2009

Workouts & Must See TV

Tonight I went to the gym to catch a 6:00 p.m. yoga class for the first time at this gym. Although I studied yoga both in college and in my 20s, I have not taken a class since that time (Read: 10 years ago). My gym offers one on Friday evening, but since they do not have the childcare room open at that time I usually forget all about it. Since the child was with her father tonight, I took advantage of it.

It was a great class! The instructor was wonderful, and she really helped me to focus on and isolate the stretches and poses with some subtle cue and great tips and tricks. I was able to do Downward Dog without too much pain, and that is HUGE for me!

So I finished the hour long class and then decided to go on the elliptical machine for awhile since it was a rest day for running. It was 7:09 p.m. when I got on the machine, and I was off!

I noticed that there was a new show on. The first thing that I saw was a large man in a suit standing and greeting some lovely plus sized women as they exited a limo one by one. It reminded me of The Bachelor for bigger folks. And that is what it is about, I guess! It is called "More to Love", and after the women came out I was hooked and needed to know who was eliminated. Why am I so curious about these reality TV things?!? Once I turn them on, I need to know how they end... grr.

Tonight that character flaw was actually a benefit, though, because I stayed on the elliptical for 51 minutes until the show was over!!!! And I was going at a good clip so I burned almost 600 calories in that time. Woo-hoo!

Thus, I got in a bonus day of exercise because going to the gym was unplanned tonight as I was supposed to go out drinking for Happy Hour. Frankly, I will feel better in the morning without the drinks, and since I have my second Zumba class tomorrow morning at 9:30 a.m. I will be even more thankful then!