Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Healthy You Challenge Update

Things have been going well these past few weeks! Last week I was down 2.5 pounds, which is one of the biggest drops in weight that I have had in recent months. It has been a bit frustrating dealing with the slowed weight loss, but frankly the gains that I have seen in areas not realted to the scale have been great and have kept me going.

One of those changes is Zumba class. I went to the first one on the recommendation of a friend, and it was great! I torched about 550 calories in the hour long class, but I felt REALLY uncoordinated because I did not know the moves. But when I went to the second one last weekend, I felt like I knew the moves better and that I did better overall in class. The quick gains I experienced were very encouraging!

Also, I have spent more time in a swimsuit this summer than any time since I was a child in grade school. How liberating!!! And fun! My daughter and I have had so many great bonding moments in the pool, and I have enjoyed watching her learn to swim this year with me by her side and not on the sidelines.

Yoga class was an excellent experience, too. I was a bit nervous that it would be disappointing since I have not taken any classes in over 10 years, but it seems that the other exercise that I do helped with my flexibility and muscle strength and thus I felt really powerful doing it.

Last night while I was at the gym I had to deal with a stupid woman taking on her cellphone while running on the track (seriously, phone to ear... not even with an earpiece!). She was weaving all over the lanes and was going in fits and starts with a inconsistent pace because she was so engaged in her conversation. I have seen this stupid woman do this before, but last night I almost started a fight with her about it. I am finding that I have less and less patience for people who are inconsiderate of other gym members, and whereas before I would have avoided confrontation with her because of my weight I am not hiding behind it anymore. If anyone has any suggestions (short of physical violence, LOL), I would love to hear them!

6 comments:

Delane said...

I like to draft people like that and blast my ipod with my headphones off.

Or get ahead and go slow. Let them pass, pass them, go slow while pretending to be in the "zone"

Al's CL Reviews said...

Besides asking them politely, you can ask a gym manager...granted totally Passive aggressive, but then you don't have to worry about confrontation again.
:)

Congrats on the loss!

A Daunting Tale of Scale Warfare said...

Ugh I hate people like that at the gym. Seriously, is your life so incredibly important that you must disrupt everyone elses day? Also, isnt there ANYWHERE at this point that you can go that is phone free? Sure I understand emergencies, but if youre running, there obviously isnt an emergency!

Mama Bear June said...

Sounds like you are doing an excellent job at being a LOSER! ;-) And you are right, the healthy changes are much more important than the speed of your weight loss. How wonderful that you can have fun swimming with your daughter! Keep making those healthy choices. And trip the woman talking on her phone. ;-) Or get an air horn to blow at her! lol
Path to Health

Jenn said...

Glad you're liking the Zumba! You will get better and better at it as you keep going. And Congrats on the big loss! That's awesome!
As far as the woman on the phone - I would just say, "Could you pull over while you're talking?" If she gets rude, then tell the gym manager?

tlamhain said...

I have to say I LOVE the air horn recommendation!!! HAHAHA!! I am still chuckling thinking about it!!! If you do it them be sure to have your daughter video it for us!!!!!