Saturday, August 22, 2009

A High... and Then Slacking

I'm not sure what it is... complacency, a bit of freedom after so much control, a celebration... but I notice that I sometimes let things slip after a win.

Yesterday I was down 4.4 pounds at my weigh in (YEA!!!!!) and was on Cloud 9 all day long. I went out to dinner and a movie, and ordered a sensible meal. But the portion was huge, and yet I proceeded to eat it all. This morning I was planning to go to Zumba class, but woke up with a bit of a headache from the wine at dinner and the late night, so I skipped class. It is like I allowed myself to slack off a bit because I had a good weigh in yesterday... which will not bode well for my weigh in this week if I do not pull back on the reins.

So I have put on my gym clothes and now plan to hit the gym to make up for the 500 calories that I didn't burn in Zumba class this morning. What I *really* want to do is take a nap, but I'll just go to bed at 8:00 p.m. with my daughter tonight instead. I need to make sure that my routine doesn't slip too much on the days when it can be done because I know that fall is almost upon us... and then come the holidays. And that time of year always draws me away from my routine and into a world of indulgence!

I have been on a downward trend with my weight for 14 months now, and the biggest thing that I have learned is that I still have to consciously choose to live healthfully every day. It is second nature to some degree because it is more of a habit now, but it is still not easy and it probably never will be.

But it IS worth it. I will be buying size 10 jeans during my next shopping outing, and it has been well over a decade since I did that. So even though I still struggle, and even though I wish I did not have to wage war on unhealthy habits every single day, I sure do like the results of my efforts.

3 comments:

Tricia said...

Way to go on the 4.4. Don't kick yourself for last night, everyone deserve a night out...just saddle back up and ride for the rest of the week. :)

Al's CL Reviews said...

Good job on the 4.4 pounds. Sounds like you were able to get back on track.

Vanessa said...

Congrats on the loss! I hear you loud and clear about making the decision every day to be healthier. I don't wake up everyday and automatically exercise, or choose a healthy breakfast. I have to stop and think about it. Such is life, I guess.