Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Keep Breathing

Last week was a bad week. A very bad week. I experienced an issue with my j-pouch that scared the hell out of me, and thus I skipped exercise for a week. I also pulled away from fibrous foods and dove headfirst into comfort foods.

After eating an entire small deep dish pizza for dinner on Sunday, I finally put my foot down and ended the madness. I know where those behaviors will take me, and I do not want to go back there again.

So I made sure that I had plenty of fruits and veggies on hand, and now I have two days of healthy choices under my belt. I went to the gym tonight and had a great workout, and I am feeling back on track.

The health thing really threw me for a loop. Since I recovered from my last large intestine removal/j-pouch creation surgery in December 2005, I have been very lucky with my health. This was a huge flashback to my sick years with Ulcerative Colitis, and it freaked me out. But my reaction was extreme and unnecessary and actually made things worse because eating all of the refined flour and sugar that passed my lips last week left me with gastrointestinal distress of another kind. Adding insult to injury, frankly.

The upside of this experience is that I can feel back on track as quickly as I can feel out of control. One bad day can make me feel out of control, but one good day can start me back down the path of healthy choices. Again, it is my lesson of minimizing the damage and getting back on track as soon as possible. Once I had one good day completed, I was able to take a step back and realize that one bad week is not the end of the world. One week without exercise will not undo all of the hard work that I have put into my fitness for the last 14 months. And in a couple of weeks, if I stick to my plan, I will be back on the road to my weight loss goal and this will have been but a blip in the screen.

1 comment:

A Daunting Tale of Scale Warfare said...

Good job getting back on track :) It took me 2 1/2 months to get back on track, so I am entirely impressed by it only taking you a week or less! Glad that youre feeling better also!