Wednesday, September 2, 2009

NSV

Today I had a major NSV (non-scale victory, for those who are not familiar with the acronym). We had an off-site departmental outing for work, and thus I had no confirmed transportation to the train station because I usually take a shuttle provided by my company after work. I figured that I would take a cab because one of my more city-savvy coworkers had told me that the location was too far from the train station to walk.

About midway through the event, I started talking to some of the other commuters in our department and one of the men told me that he was going to walk to the station. He said that it was a 2 mile walk, and I said count me in!

In the end, three of us walked to the train. We did the 2 miles in about 35 minutes, which is pretty good considering that we walked through the heart of downtown Chicago, stoplights and all. And, frankly, it was a breeze for me! I actually thought it was kind of a "short" walk, and I didn't even get winded or log any Vigorous activity minutes on my GoWear Fit! And I did it all in my sandals without thinking twice.

What that tells me is that the running that I have been doing for the part year has really paid off in terms of my fitness level. Last summer I would not have chosen to walk the 2 miles because it would have seemed SO FAR, but now that I run that distance a few times a week it felt like a stroll thorough the city... which it was!

Things like this highlight the unmeasurable differences in my life, the decisions like this that I make on a daily basis that reflect my improved health and my increased endurance. Frankly, I didn't even consider this an NSV until I reflected on the day and realized that I chose to walk 2 miles to the train station as just a normal part of my day!