Sunday, November 22, 2009

Coasting

The past couple of months have brought little on the weight loss front. Maybe 2 pounds, if that. I was really framing this the wrong way until it hit me yesterday that I have basically maintained my weight for several months, and that it is actually a great achievement.

I have spent my adult life in only one of two modes: Weight Loss Mode or Weight Gain Mode. Either I was following my plan and getting the high of losing weight and changing my body, or I was tossing everything healthy out the window and strapping on the high cal feed bag. In all honesty, there has been no middle ground.

These past few months have been a mini-cycle of gain a few and then lose a few. It seems really frustrating, but when I really think about it this is probably going to be my real life pattern once I hit my goal. Events will come along, bad days will happen, and then I will have to get a little strict with myself and get back to my happy weight place. So this has been really good practice because that is what I have been doing. I have had several big weekends or events and have even been up 5 pounds at one point, but then I went back to basics and took them off again in a healthy way.

I was hoping to be at my WW goal weight (which is about 10 pounds higher than my current personal goal weight) by the time the big 4-0 came around in December, but it is not going to happen. And I am okay with this because, honestly, I can live with being 8 pounds away from that. It is a lot closer than I would ever have believed a couple of years ago. I am not going to link that goal weight to start of 2010, either, because I expect that I will continue to be in maintain mode over the holidays. But next year is my year to meet my goals, and that is certainly something to smile about. It is now within reach!

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Maintaining alone is a great accomplishment. Congrats!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Great!