Sunday, November 8, 2009

What a Weekend!

Chicago had a warm and sunny weekend after a summer and fall of relative cold weather. It's amazing what a couple of 70 degree days can do for the spirit!

I usually attend a 60 minute Zumba class on Saturday morning, but this Saturday I decided to skip the indoor class and take my workout outside to enjoy what may be one of the last beautiful Saturdays before winter descends upon our fair city. I strapped on my iPod, Garmin 405, and heart rate monitor and hit the sidestreets of this beautiful tree city. The songs that were popping up on shuffle seemed perfect in the filtered sunlight and breeze: Fields of Gold, Blow Away, and other less pounding music. I had no real time or agenda in mind, and decided to just slow down my pace and make it a long run.

Five miles and an hour later, I made my way back to my mom's door (I usually do my outdoor runs in her neighborhood because she will watch my daughter for me), and she was waiting outside all worried because I was gone for so long! But it was a wonderful run, and it left me itching for another one.

Saturday night I went into the city for coffee, a movie, and dinner (in that order). I am working really hard to break the self-imposed poor eating habits plateau that I have been on since Sepetember, so I was determined to choose wisely. After a beautiful evening wandering the city streets, I had a healthy and delicious meal of apple salad with celery root, pumpkin seeds, and shaved aged gouda, red squash with burrata cheese and apple balsamic, and brussel sprouts and chestnuts in a balsamic reduction. It was delicious, and I enjoyed every bite!

Sunday was another gorgeous day, and I worked hard to fit in another run. Since I had done a long one yesterday, I chose a 3 mile path that took me just over thirty minutes.

All of these things set me up for an evening of cooking and food prep for this week. I made spinach pie, which should cover me for three lunches this week, cut up cucumbers and peppers, and packed daily servings of sugar snap peas to reduce the morning rush to get food ready for work each day.

Tomorrow I have my Weight Watchers at Work meeting, and I expect a nice loss. I bet it would have been better had AF not shown up a bit early, but a loss is a loss and I want to be back on that path.

I am off to bed now so that I can get up a bit earlier than my usual 5:30 a.m. in order to get in a weight workout before heading off to work for the day. Here's to a great week!

No comments: