Sunday, January 17, 2010

Half Marathon Training - Week 1

Before I talk about my first week of training, I want to extend a HUGE THANK YOU for all of the support that you gave me on my big half marathon announcement! I am amazed to hear from those of you that I "know", those that I follow on their blogs, new friends training for their own half marathons, a lucky lady who just trained for and ran a marathon with her husband (now THAT'S bonding!), and so many more! I feel like I have a group of supporters cheering me on, and that is very inspiring to me!

I am following the Hal Higdon Novice Half Marathon Training Plan but, seeing as I have 15 weeks instead of the 12 that this plan outlines, I have stretched it out a bit to ease in more. Week 1 of 15 had me lined up for two 2-mile runs and a 3-mile run, all three of which were accomplished as scheduled! Each workout also includes a half mile warm-up/cool down, so my total mileage for the week was 8.5 miles.

I know that is very low mileage for many, but seeing as I only ran a total of 10 miles for the entire month of December (YIKES!), I am easing into the plan to avoid injury. I have known so many people who rush their plans or dramatically increase their mileage in an attempt to speed up their weight loss who then end up injuring themselves, and of course the old body is not what it used to be, so I am happy to be slow and steady and in good shape for my race!

I felt good this week in my runs, strong and steady and happy. I got a new iTouch for Christmas and loaded it up with over 500 workout-specific songs, so I used that for the first time this week (with its built-in Nike+ functionality... yea!), and I really enjoyed my expanded music selections.

One thing I realized is that I am going to use the treadmill as I get to some of my longer runs because lapping on the track gets SERIOUSLY repetitive as the length of my runs increase. At least I can watch TV while on the treadmill, which will keep my eyes off of my watch and help the time pass better until I can take my runs outside again in the spring.

I did notice that my knees are hurting just a bit today, and I felt some discomfort in my feet and ankles during my run today. That leads me to believe that it is time for new shoes, so I am going to take a trip to Fleet Feet and get some help in selecting a new pair. I have lost over 80 pounds since I had help selecting the shoes that I currently use, and I know that my running stride has changed dramatically since that time, so I am ready to consider a new type of shoes if it will help me more than the ones that I currently use (Saucony Progrid Hurricane 10).

On the food front, things were okay. I was officially down 1.4 pounds this week at my Friday morning weigh-in, but I really struggled (READ: totally overate and drank too much) with my evenings on both Friday and Saturday of this weekend so I am going to have to be very careful this week in order to show another loss on Friday. I am currently preparing some healthy food for the week... balsamic roasted brussel sprouts, Greek-style green beans with mushrooms, etc. I also have a bunch of broccoli slaw on hand for big salads, which will add bulk to my meals without adding too may calories.

This week is going to be a very stressful one at work as I have four big changes in the departments that I manage, so I have to find a way to deal with this that does not include hitting the candy dish in my area. My current plan is to write it out, so I am going to carry a beautiful little journal in my purse this week to jot down anything that keeps repeating in my mind in order to get it out and move on so that I do not stuff my emotions.

Onward to Week 2 of 15 of my training!

6 comments:

nancy said...

Continued success on your running. I'm just getting back into the swing of things. I took over a month break and was doing great running on lap, walking swifty the next... grrr I will never take another break. Move it and you lose it. Plus I think giving myself two hours a day for me to be healthy is a good thing.

Al's CL Reviews said...

I'm following the same plan, but added miles at the end, so I run 12 miles before the big run, instead of 10.

Good job on the loss.

scalewarfare said...

I'm really looking forward to reading your posts as you train for the 1/2 marathon!

Great job on the weight loss :)

Samida said...

OGM I am loving your blog. I honestly don't know when I signed up to be a "follower" but so happy it appeared on my dashboard this morning. Good luck with your training. PLEASE be good to your knees - even with a new pair of shoes if your knees still bother you, you might need inserts to even further straighten your gait.
Samida

http://www.samidasweightlossjourney.com

Tricia said...

Congrats on the training. My hubby and I are in the middle of training for our first 1/2 marathon together. Feb. 21st!

I look forward to following your progress :)

Corletta said...

You can do it! You are following a great plan. That is the plan that we used for our first half! Hang in there. There will be days that you don't wanna run. Go ahead and plan for those days! Remember your goal and take on mile at a time! WOOOHOO I am SOOO excited for you!
p.s. You also need to run outside. Running only on the treadmill/track will not fully equip your body for the roads!