Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Half Marathon Training - Week 3

And here's to the week that took a week and a half! It was bound to happen, but it is okay because I have a few extra weeks built into the (usually) 12 week plan that I am following.

I did my third run for the week tonight, when it was scheduled for last Sunday. I was not feeling well last weekend, and spent most of it in bed or napping in my chair, and never felt well enough for a run. Then my daughter came down with scarlet fever on Monday night, and there went my Tuesday run, too.

So I finished my last run of Week 3 tonight, and will be doing my 3 runs of Week 4 in very short order on Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday of this week. Whew!

My total mileage for Week 3, including warm-up and cool down walking was 12.4 miles. I am noticing some tightness in my hamstrings and really need to increase my stretching. I also need to do some weight-work to strengthen my quads to balance it out, so I will be working in more of that in the weeks to come.

The new shoes seem to be working well, but I am still adjusting to them. I am glad that I started breaking them in now instead of waiting until a few weeks before the race. I want to make sure that these are the shoes that will take me 13.1 miles without too much pain!

I had some issues with my eating this week. I think that the illness, coupled with the missed runs and the basically throw-away weekend, really threw me into a depression. I tried to solve it with food, but of course that just made it worse. But I am back on track and focusing on my goals once again, and the only think that I can control is what happens from now on because the past is done. Live and learn, again and again and again!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Do you have a foam roller or a stick? It has transformed my stretching and my legs crave it if I do not use them.

Great mileage!!! You can DO THIS!

Corletta said...

The important thing is that you are back on track. Focus less on losing weight and more on running well. That is one of my biggest regrets as I trained for a half and a full. Enjoy the process. Also, listen to your body! Go get um tiger!

Tricia said...

Great job getting back on track!

Al's CL Reviews said...

You are doing great!