Sunday, February 21, 2010

Half Marathon Training - Weeks 5 & 6

I am over a third of the way through my training program... WOW!!! Time flies.

The completion of Weeks 5 and 6 converged, and thus my recap is in just one post. I finished Week 5 on Wednesday with a total mileage of 13.4, and then finished Week 6 today with a total mileage of 14.4 I ran 4 of the last 5 days in order to catch up on my training plan, and am I ever feeling it!

Today I had a 6 mile run, and that is the longest run that I have ever done in my life. Go me! :-) I really struggled with my mind today, and had to just shut down negative quitter thoughts in order to get in the full training run. Yes, my body was just plain tired after running 3 of the previous 4 days, and my hip was doing a bit of complaining, but really my own mind was my biggest adversary. So I just let my feet keep going, and finally made it to the 6 mile mark. I wanted to be all "Rocky" and have some kind of celebration for hitting a new personal mileage record... but I was too tired! On my cool-down lap, I felt like the creaky tin man looking for an oil can!

So, I start Week 7 on Tuesday after a day of rest tomorrow (much needed and well deserved, IMHO). Planned mileage is 15.2. I am feeling confident. :-)

On the weight loss front, my Weight Off team at work had our 6 week midpoint weigh-in, and we were down 44 pounds between the four of us. I know that 6 of that was mine, so I am happy with my performance thus far. We are certainly not in the lead right now, but it is a good place to be at the halfway point and we still have a shot at the prize if we can all kick it into high gear!

I think that the Vitamin D is having a positive effect on my mood, so it is good that my doctor discovered the deficiency. I have not noticed much from the B12 shots in terms of increased energy, but then again I have only had two of them so far. My next one on Tuesday, and I still have hope!

Onward to another great week!

6 comments:

Al's CL Reviews said...

Congrats on the mileage! I hear you on pushing through the negative self-talk.

I just started the D3 as well.

Congrats on the weight. 44 pounds for all of you should be commended!

Delane said...

6 won't seem so bad after you have done 13.1.

I always take 2 days off post long runs.

createapositivelife said...

You are doing an amazing job!
Betsy

Ami said...

great job on your training!!! Sounds like you are doing awesome! I'm interested in your vitamin d vitamins...have to look that up!!!

MochaTrina@Me So Hongry... said...

Thanks for stopping and providing that supportive and encouraging comment. Good job on your mileage. So when do you run your first half? Good luck on your remaining training.

Jennifer said...

Best of luck in your training! Looks like you are doing great thus far!

I wanted to reach out to you about our new site, iChange.com. We're looking for some weight loss and fitness bloggers to participate in a free 30 Day challenge for our online nutritionist-led program and give feedback on the website, program and process. Here’s what one of our current bloggers has to say about us http://thesassypear.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/the-times-they-are-ichangin/. Please email me at jen@ichange.com if you are interested in learning more. Thanks!