Thursday, April 1, 2010

Alcohol Abstinence April

No, it's not an April Fools Day joke. I really did agree to abstain from alcohol for the month of April. My friend proposed it to me as part of our preparation for the half marathon (which, in fact, is exactly one month from today).

Although this is going to put a serious dent in my social life, I think it will be a good thing. And I bet that I will lose a lot of weight this month because it is on drinking nights that I tend to overeat and binge eat. Any way you look at it, it will be an eye-opening experience!

Last month I ran over 66 miles. It was my highest monthly mileage ever. :-) I finished my 8 mile long runs last Sunday, and have a 9 mile run on schedule for this weekend. The longest run I have before that half marathon is 10 miles, so I am closing in on it.

I am starting to get really excited and nervous now. With less than a month to go, it seems very real. And there are some serious hills on the course, so I have to start training for those. There is a 200 foot incline at Mile 5, so I am going to do some treadmill runs that simulate that incline and placement if possible.

I have also started to think about life beyond the half, and what my exercise plan will look like then. Now that my short runs are 5 milers, I want to keep it that way and run between 10 and 15 miles a week. I also want to start taking the Tuesday night Cardio Kickboxing class that I took last week on a regular basis. But my big goal after the half is to hire a personal trainer for a few sessions in order to get some regular strength training into my routine. I really think that is what is going to take me to the next level in my body-related goals.

On that note, tomorrow is the last weigh-in for our Weight Off challenge at work. I did not do as well as I had hope, but should bring an eight pound loss to the team (as I will be wearing my very lightest of all clothes, too!). At least it kept me focused on getting back on track as soon as possible after bad food choices, so it was not a disappointment. I am not hopeful that my team will win the cash prize because one of the men (who each averaged 300 pounds at the first weigh-in) has really not lost any weight, and the remaining three of us cannot carry the team. And I must say that there have been some AMAZING weight losses by some of my co-workers on other teams, so it was a tough crowd in the competition.

Onward to the last 4 weeks of my training, and injuries STAY AWAY!!!!

4 comments:

Al's CL Reviews said...

Congrats on the 8 pounds.

I guess your HM is 1 week after mine.

Carly said...

I really should jump on the abstinence wagon too. I wonder if I would lose a lot of weight...(I am thinking yes)
Good luck to you!!!

Delane said...

Good luck with the no drinking thing. I once quit for 6 months. I can't say that it really helped though it did make getting up on Saturdays for long runs easier.

Donna said...

You are such an inspiration!! 9 miles this weekend.