Sunday, April 18, 2010

Half Marathon Home Stretch

Today was the longest of my long training runs: 10 miles. I had some weird stomach thing going on all week, so I missed a 5 mile run and did not run at all from last Saturday (9 miles) to this past Saturday.

My schedule was thrown off on Saturday due to a phone call, so I ran near the country club in our little city. I did not know the area well, but needed to both squeeze the run in and be at my daughter's drama school to pick her up in just an hours time, so I started the run from her school and headed out to explore. My stomach cooperated until Mile 3 or so, and then I was in so much pain that I had to cut the run short at 4 miles. Very disappointing, and it made me nervous for the 10 miler that was on plan for today.

I started out at about 11:30 a.m. today, and ran the first 5 with no problem. Quick potty and water break at Mile 5, and then I went on for the last half of the run. I felt pretty good until about Mile 8.5, and then the last 1 1/2 was a real struggle. I thought the last 1/4 mile was going to break me, but then I saw my daughter heading towards me on her new 2 wheel bike (she dumped the training wheels last weekend!), and it gave me the oomph to finish it off at 10.03 miles.

I have been a tired slug ever since. But it was a great day nonetheless.

I actually had a really slow run. It was very windy, and I spent half of the run charging into the wind which both slowed me down and tired me out. I also saw a bunch of signs for a lost cat in the area, so I visually scoured the bushes and plants and yards and brush for about half of the run hoping to find him and bring him safely back to his family. It seriously slowed me down, but it is what it is and I still finished the run.

I have two 5 milers this week and then an 8 miler next weekend, and then I taper to a 4 miler and a 2 miler two days before the race. I am getting nervous, but my goal is really just to finish the race. I would love to finish it under 3 hours, so that is my bonus goal.

Onward to my last 5 runs before the race!

3 comments:

Al's CL Reviews said...

Woohoo! So close you can taste it, right?

Delane said...

CONGRATS! Enjoy the taper!

Donna said...

WOW; you are amazing! Congratulations!