Friday, June 18, 2010

He Hurt Me!

That's been my response to the question "How did your first personal training session go yesterday?" Although it is a bit untrue, as he did not actually hurt me but instead made me hurt myself! I am sore sore sore and getting more sore by the minute. Advil, take it away!

As I pulled my van into the fitness studio, Alex was waiting for me in the parking lot. No sooner did I lock the van doors than he had me in the first move. He had a TRX system attached to the outside of the building, and we spent most of the first 40 minutes working with that. And let me tell you, it was HARD! I felt like a wimp, and was panting like a dog half of the time. The rest of the first 40 minutes was spent doing a workout using metal rails in the parking lot... jumps, push-ups, wall sits, knee lifts, lunges... oh my.

With shaky arms and legs, we went inside for the last 10 minutes and did some legwork. We never touched a weight (other than my own body weight), but I got a serious strength workout. I am hooked.

I will say that it was harder than I thought it would be. He timed my breaks and only allowed them between every two exercises. I even felt like crying at one point (sissy!) and had moments of the "I can't do this" feeling, which I promptly swallowed and kept hidden. But it gave me a real wake-up call to see how out of shape I am on the strength side. I can run for 3 hours straight, but I can not even do a single real push-up. How sad.

I will be meeting with Alex on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I really think that this is the push that I need to take my goals to the next level. I am also following the food plan that he recommended, and I love it. I even turned down bakery cake at work and popcorn at the movies tonight, and I really did not feel bad about it. You will find a typical day's menu below to see the kind of food that is on the plan, and it is whole and healthy food and not the protein-laden fare that I expected (thank goodness!).

In addition to radically changing my diet this week, I also cut out almost all artificial sweeteners... and once the Light & Fit yogurt is gone, I plan to cut it out altogether. I changed from Splenda to stevia in my coffee, and it has been just fine. I did have a crazy-tired detox day on Wednesday, and had to talk the child into going to bed with mommy at 8:00 p.m. I slept until 5:45 a.m., felt rested, and have been feeling better ever since.

I had a run planned for this morning, a five miler, but frankly my poor body could only handle 2 so I cut it WAY short. I felt like the walking wounded both from the workout (and sore muscles from) the night before and from the early morning workout time (5:45 a.m. instead of my typical 6:30 p.m.). Can you say BOINK???

I am really excited about working with Alex. I am in for 24 more sessions, which should take me right up to the weekend of my next half marathon on September 12th. Which brings me to my big concern, that I will not have enough time to properly train for the half. If it comes down to it and I have to make a choice, my choice is working with Alex. I am not giving up the ghost, but as a single mom who works full-time and commutes 2+ hours a day on top of that, I just do not see how I am going to be able to fit two training sessions and three runs in each week. But I am going to try.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Breakfast

Calories Protein Fat Carbohydrates
Bread - Ezekial 4:9 (1 slice), 2 serving 160 8 0 30
Average Roma Tomato, 1 serving 16 1 0 4
Avocados, California (Haas), 0.5 fruit without skin and seeds 144 2 13 7
Olive Oil, 1 1tsp 40 0 5 0
Basil, 4 leaves 1 0 0 0
Honey Mustard, 2 tsp 20 0 0 2
Milk, nonfat, 0.5 cup 43 4 0 6
Meal Totals 424 15 18 50

Lunch

Calories Protein Fat Carbohydrates
Bird Eye Steamfresh Broccoli Florets, 4 cup 120 4 0 16
Orange Pepper (bell pepper - 3-3/4" long, 3" dia), 186 gram(s) 50 2 0 12
Taboule Salad, 10 tbsp 150 5 5 15
Apples, fresh, 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb) 81 0 0 21
Almond Butter, 1 tbsp 101 2 9 3
Meal Totals 503 14 15 67

Dinner

Calories Protein Fat Carbohydrates
Asparagus, fresh, 20 spear, small (5" long or less) 55 5 0 11
Olive Oil, 1 1tsp 40 0 5 0
mushroom, portabella cap - 1 cap-3 oz serv, 1 serving 20 3 0 4
Onions, raw, 0.5 small 13 0 0 3
Peppers, sweet, red, fresh, 0.5 medium (approx 2-3/4" long, 2-1/2" dia) 16 1 0 4
Grapes, 2 cup, seedless 120 2 2 57
Dates, 1 date 23 0 0 6
Tyson Grilled Chicken Breast Strips, 4 oz 133 25 2 4
Meal Totals 421 37 9 89

Snack

Calories Protein Fat Carbohydrates
Medjool dates, 2 date, pitted 133 1 0 36
Almonds, 24 almond 166 6 15 6
Dannon Light & Fit Nonfat Vanilla Yogurt, 6 oz., 1 serving 80 5 0 15
Strawberries, fresh, 1 cup, halves 46 1 1 11
Meal Totals 425 13 15 67
Daily Totals 1,772 79 57 273

3 comments:

Delane said...

Want to feel physically inept, go to a power yoga class or Bikram.

I really liked having a PT but I never lost any weight. For me weight is 80% eating and 20% working out. I think its because I'm pretty active. I did have some rock solid muscles.

I'm debating on the Chicago 1/2 or the Naperville Trails 1/2 that same weekend.

Melissa said...

That's a great looking food journal! It's amazing to see how much one can eat for under 1800 calories when the junk is gone. I really need to focus on getting in more whole foods and less of the snacks. Thanks for the inspiration!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Sounds hard. I'm feeling in pain just reading about it.
:)