Tuesday, June 1, 2010

New Month, Fresh Start

I don't know why, but I am one of those people who put a lot of emphasis on beginnings... new days, new weeks, new months, new years. And for some reason June feels like all of them rolled into one! Maybe it is lingering happiness over school ending and summer beginning coupled with long days and warmer weather. The opening of our pool. More light. No more snow for awhile (well, this IS Chicago so you never know, but...).

I went to bed last night knowing that June was going to be good. Even though I felt crummy today, I knew that I was having a fresh start after a slack-off month in May post-half marathon. And that's what today has been. Fresh, yummy, and happy.

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast
1 cup of fresh blueberries
1/2 cup of Fiber One cereal
6 ounces of vanilla yogurt

Morning Snack
Huge cup of coffee with a splash of skim milk and some Splenda

Lunch
Grilled chicken breast (that had been marinated in a yummy salsa)
Mediterranean orzo pasta salad (more on that later... yum)
Fresh pineapple

Afternoon Snack

Light string cheese

Dinner
Boca burgers on a sandwich thin with Vivi's Original Carnival Mustard and fat free cheese slices
More of the orzo pasta salad

A healthy and delicious day of eating, along with 4 cups of fresh water and 4 cups of green tea. And then a 45 minute swim in our pool after work to top it all off. What a day!

The Mediterranean orzo pasta salad was left-over from a BBQ at a friend's house yesterday. I made up my own recipe and I just love it! I cooked some orzo, added cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, kalamata olives, capers, baby spinach, fresh basil, reduced fat feta, fresh lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, Greek seasonings, and ground sea salt & pepper. Amazing! And even better the next day. This may become a signature dish.

I also tried the Vivi's mustard for the first time and I LOVE IT!!!! It really jazzed up my Boca burgers, and I can't wait to try it on other foods. Now if I can just figure out where to buy it locally because mail order shipping costs on glass jars are crazy!

So, here's to a wonderful June with lots of fresh food, good swimming, and getting back on track with my running. Family & good friends and outdoor fun NOT optional!

2 comments:

Delane said...

yeah I'm starting a new to today. Bad bad week ... ugh.

happens.

have you tried the dr praeger veggie burgers? They are much much better ingredient wise than boca (aka gluten bi-product) burgers. I also have a good recipe for home made lentil burgers that freeze well.

Al's CL Reviews said...

I'm starting new too!