Thursday, November 25, 2010

Turkey Trot 5K - 2010

This morning I ran my third Thanksgiving morning Turkey Trot 5K. It was the race that almost wasn't.

I decided to bail on it last night when I read the weather forecast. Too cold, maybe rain and maybe snow. And I had just finished a crappy week and was deep into a bottle of wine. I promised myself that I would go to the gym and run an equivalent distance, but not outside at the race proper.

When I went over to my mom's this morning before the gym... it wasn't too bad outside. And I realized that I had no excuse to skip the race. So I pinned on my bib and went. I am so glad that I did that.

I actually ran a PR. 34:28, which was just about 1 1/2 minutes faster than last year, and 45 seconds faster than my previous PR. And frankly I could have trimmed at least 30 seconds off my time had the walkers actually went to the BACK of the pack like they were instructed to do. I actually spent quite some time weaving through people and children and dogs and strollers, and had to resort to running on the sidewalks several times.

Regardless, I pushed myself and it was a great run. My first mile was 10:15. At mile 2, I was averaging 10:45 per mile. I slowed down a bit and finished with a mile time average just over 11:00 per mile. Cool!

And I was proud of myself for just doing it. And just doing it for ME, for no one else.

A very Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

3 comments:

Mary :: A Merry Life said...

Congrats on the awesome run! Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Delane said...

congrats!

Al's CL Reviews said...

congrats!!!