Sunday, December 12, 2010

How Long Does It Take?

I have been running (and I use the term loosely because it includes my Couch to 5 K days) for about 2 1/2 years now. I can safely say that I did not enjoy a single run my first year. I enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment, the idea of it once it was over, and maybe even the spent feeling when I was done, but I did not enjoy the run while it was in progress.

The second year brought some enjoyable runs because I felt confident enough to run outside when the weather permitted. I enjoyed the whole experience of my outdoor runs... the sun, the weather, the trees and scenery, the music, and feeling like I was part of something. I also trained for and completed a half marathon, and I felt proud. I even called myself a runner to others.

This weekend I ran about 3 1/2 miles both Saturday and Sunday. Regular old runs on the track at my gym, same old music that I have been listening to for weeks. But the thing is that I enjoyed THE RUN ITSELF. I pushed myself, I got lost in my movement, and I felt good WHILE running. It was a different experience for me. I looked forward to getting on the track, felt happy while I was running, and felt peaceful afterward. Did it take me 2 1/2 years to enjoy the run itself? Or do we just move through different levels of enjoyment the longer that we run?

I don't know the answer, but I do know that I hope it continues to feel like this!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

That's awesome! That's one of the things I loved about running when I was in high school & college. I loved just going out and getting lost in the run. I miss that feeling.

Jen said...

You're still running in the winter? Didn't chicago just recently get a lot of snow?? Here in MN, I haven't been able to run outside for about a month now!

mommie2lea said...

Jen, I run on an indoor track in the winter. I am such a fair-weather runner that the temps alone (not to mention snow and ice!) keep me from going outside now. My last outdoor run was on Thanksgiving morning... and I expect my next one will be in mid-spring. :)

Mel... HI! I hope you can get that feeling back again. I know that you have been suffering with injuries, but I hope the day comes that they will let you be an let you enjoy a run again.

Elizabeth - Flourish in Progress said...

Already, I can tell you are better than me. I bought running shoes in August. I gave the actual running some serious thought. While I was in front of the TV. And then I went to the freezer and got some ice cream and forgot about running. It's the overachiever in me.

Delane said...

I love the intangibles of running but not the running itself. Even when I enjoy my run I don't enjoy the running foot motion. I don't think I ever will, but I love the run. Its odd, hard to explain.

I think when it comes to exercise people start to enjoy it when they have a sense of control and the mind is pushing the body not the body pushing the mind.