Saturday, December 25, 2010

Simple

Not the first word that comes to mind when describing my life. Not in the top 10... or even the top 100. But it is the root of my focus for 2011.

Simple.
Simplicity.
Simplify.

Instead of making resolutions last year, I chose a word to use as a theme of sorts for my year.

The word for 2010 was:

FOCUS


- The concentration of attention or energy on something
- Maximum clarity or distinctness of an image rendered by an optical system
- Concentrate: direct one's attention on something
- Cause to converge on or toward a central point

I will focus on achieving my weight loss and fitness goals while also focusing on the wonderful life that I have, paying more attention to the here and now with my family and friends. I will not wish away my time because I want to look different, but will instead focus on enjoying what I have and what I can do now. I will live my life with more awareness and appreciation.


I received this quote in my Inbox this week from The Happiness Project daily email:

"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity!"

Henry David Thoreau

It made me think about all of the things that take my time away from living the life that I have the way that I would like to live it, and thus the word that I am choosing for 2011 is:

SIMPLIFY


- To make less complex or complicated; make plainer or easier

I will focus on simplifying my life. I will eliminate the things that I no longer love or use so that I can spend less time taking care of items and more time enjoying experiences. I will create maintainable routines that work for me and focus of making my life less complex. I will focus on what is in the now instead of complicating my life with the regrets of the past or the worries of the future.

Lofty goals, but I am aiming high.

3 comments:

Corletta said...

Huh...this post certainly made me think! Thanks for that!

Delane said...

I've been trying to simplify my life for the past year. It's hard. Ive been purging for a year now to try to reduce clutter. That has helped. I'm not good with simplicity.

Carly said...

I love it! Simplify is one of my goals for this year too.