Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Countdown is On

My looming surgery is starting to get the best of me in terms of nerves. I have a list a mile long of things that need to be in place to take care of my 9 year old child, 5 animals, and home while I am in the hospital for 7 days and then out of commission for another 14 days. It is a daunting list, and I start tackling it today.

Add to that the fact that I know how much surgery takes out of me and how long the road to recovery is, and I am flipping out a bit. The good news about that is that I am really focused on being as healthy as possible going into the surgery, so I have not been having any problems sticking to healthy foods and keeping all of the partying that I was doing at bay. I weighed in at 168 yesterday, so the slow and steady downward trend continues.

I am mixing up my exercise routine again, though, starting today. I started working with a new trainer. His philosophy is 20 minutes twice a week, strength work with very very very slow movements until muscle exhaustion. My biggest goal now is to lose body fat and replace it with lean muscle, so he is perfectly in line with that. He told me that, in addition to helping me lose the excess fat, he would like to add about 5 pounds of muscle to my frame.

Our first session today took me to a place with leg presses that I have never been. He had me pressing 100 pounds, which is not unusual for me as I usually set the machine for 100 to 120 pounds when I do it at the gym, but the slow reps and movement techniques that he had me focus on brought me to a crazy level of burning in my quads. And then he worked with me to continue through the burning and override the psychological urge to quit when my muscles were still actually strong and able to work. It was hard!!! But it was satisfying. I go back again on Wednesday, and I am really looking forward to it.

This weekend I am locking myself in to tackle the house. Deep cleaning and decluttering, and even getting rid of my main TV and gorgeous wood and beveled glass cabinet for it because it is just too big for my area. Not the TV per se, but the cabinet. And the cabinet limits me from getting a nicer TV because nothing bigger will really fit in it other than the 32" huge TV from 1998. But that means that I need a new TV, so I am trying to figure out how much I want to spend on that.

Decisions, decisions.

No comments: