Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Other Side

The surgery was a success, and I am healing well thus far. They actually ended up repairing two hernias (one was fully out and the other was thinning and just starting to come out), so the recovery was tougher than last. I also think the recovery was tougher because I am older.

My boyfriend is still here, with his 2 dogs and my 5 cats, but will be returning to his house in the next couple of days. It has been an experience living with a man again, after being divorced for 6 1/2 years, but it was mostly a good one. I could not have done it without him, nor without my mother as she basically cared for my daughter for the first two weeks. But it is amazing how I am falling into the roll of caretaker now, as it is natural for me being a mother and having been a wife before, while he mainly looks out for himself. Relationships certainly aren't any easier in your 40s, at least not for me.

I worked from home last week, and will be returning to the office on Monday. I was just cleared to drive, so yesterday was my first day back behind the wheel. Having some difficulty turning around too far, but otherwise I am making do.

Nothing exciting, I guess. I still cannot lift more than three pounds, and no exercise except for walking. I am getting the tape and glue removed from my incision on Thursday. I have been very strictly counting points since I came home from the hospital because I do not want to gain weight since I am so sedentary right now. I stepped on the scale as a sanity check on Friday and, despite TOM and the post-surgical swelling, I am down three pounds from my last pre-surgery weigh in so it seems to be doing the trick.

Now the plan is to get back to life as usual, and then the plan is to make it a more active life than I have had since meeting my boyfriend. It has been so long since I have gone for a run that I am going to do the Couch to 5K Program again from scratch. Time to put ego aside and begin with the basics again. At least I am 85 pounds lighter than the last time that I started the program!!!

1 comment:

Delane said...

I hope you heal quickly